Welcome to Scripture Engagement!
This section of Bible Gateway, created in partnership with the Taylor University Center for Scripture Engagement, outlines a set of practical exercises and activities you can undertake to interact more meaningfully with the Bible.
We invite you to explore the different topics in this section at your own pace and in whatever order you prefer. We recommend beginning with the Introduction section below, then exploring the specific topics that interest you.
Introduction to Scripture Engagement
- What is Scripture Engagement?
- Defining Scripture Engagement
- Scripture Engagement Bible Passages
- What is the Bible?
- Holy Attention
- Scripture Engagement Compared to Bible Study
- Not This Way (Common but Inadequate Approaches to the Bible)
- Scripture Engagement in a Small Group
- An Overview of Scripture Engagement Practices
- Getting Started
Scripture Engagement Practices
The different Scripture Engagement practices are listed below; each section consists of an overview of the practice, a set of practical tips for engaging in it, and a list of resources for further exploration.
If this is your first time exploring these Scripture Engagement articles, we strongly recommend that you begin by reading through the Overview of Scripture Engagement Practices; it describes each practice in detail. However, for the sake of convenience, each of the practices is also listed below.
- Timelining—video discussion
- Storying Scripture
- Watch an Example of Storying Scripture
- Storying Scripture Practice Tips
- Storying Scripture Resources
- Dramatizing Scripture
- Watch an Example of Dramatizing Scripture
- Dramatizing Scripture Practice Tips
- Dramatizing Scripture Resources
- Lectio Divina
- The Ignatian Method
- Praying Scripture
- Memorizing Scripture
- Memorizing Scripture Practice Tips
- Memorizing Scripture in a Small Group
- Memorizing Scripture Resources
- Singing Scripture
- Journaling Scripture
- Watch an Example of Journaling Scripture (new!)
- Journaling as a Spiritual Discipline
- Journaling Scripture Practice Tips
- Journaling Scripture in Small Groups
- Journaling Scripture Resources
- Hand Copying Scripture
- Hand Copying Scripture Practice Tips
- Hand Copying Scripture in Small Groups
- Hand Copying Scripture Resources
- Scripture Engagement Through Visual Art
- Speaking Scripture
- Manuscript Bible Study
- Public Reading of Scripture
This material is © Phil Collins, Ph.D., 2014. This material was created in partnership with the Taylor University Center for Scripture Engagement. Many of the Scripture engagement articles were researched and developed with the help of a group of excellent and dedicated Christian Educational Ministries students from Taylor University. Thank you Billy Goggin, Margaret Gruendyke, Amber Holderbaum, Sara Kicinski, Lydia Luke, Ryan Muth, Stu Poulson, and Carli Stewart!