◀Scripture Engagement/ Engaging Scripture Through Art Practice Tips
Scripture Engagement Through Visual Art - Practice Tips
- Find a good source of quality biblical artwork. This might be a book, a website, or even a museum. Look for art that intrigues you personally and helps you to gain a deeper understanding of the Scripture passages depicted. The resource page ‘Scripture Engagement Through Visual Art’ will be a great help in this process.
- Once you choose a specific piece on which to reflect, begin by familiarizing yourself with its corresponding Scripture passage. Artwork can never substitute for actually reading and experiencing the biblical text for yourself. Let the work of the artist drive you deeper into your reflection of God’s Word. The art work is to help you meditate on Scripture, allowing/assisting you to see what is already there. Art does not replace the Bible, but it can be used as a valuable tool.
- Ask God through prayer to direct your experience with each art piece. Pray that the Holy Spirit will give you wisdom and discernment as you seek to discover new truths about him and how he works in the lives of his people.
- After doing this, take time to simply reflect on the piece itself before you begin any further studying on the passage, the artist, or the background of the piece itself.
- As you reflect on the piece of artwork, ask yourself questions. How does this piece help me to connect with the passage on a deeper level? How is God at work in this event? What figures from the account are portrayed? How do they react to what is going on? How do they relate to each other? What figures do I most connect with? Why do I connect with a particular figure?
- Consider journaling about your experience as you practice Scripture engagement though biblical art.
- Share what God teaches you through the piece of artwork with friends and discuss with them what they see in the piece. Engaging Scripture through art is inherently a meeting of hearts and intellects as the viewer connects with the artist through his or her work. Inviting others to experience art with you will further broaden your engagement with the Scriptures.
- Lastly, consider making your own piece of biblical art! You will engage with a passage at a deeper level as you strive to visually represent a Bible passage.