The Passion Translation
3 for I am your Savior, Yahweh, your mighty God,
the Holy One of Israel!
I give up Egypt as the price to set you free,
Cush and Seba in exchange to bring you back.[a]
4 Since you are cherished and precious[b] in my eyes,
and because I love you dearly and want to honor[c] you,
I willingly give up nations in exchange for you—
a man[d] to save your life.
5 I am with you now, even close to you,
so never yield to fear.
I will bring your children[e] from the east;
from the west I will gather you.
- Isaiah 43:3 Seba was an African nation that bordered Egypt. God is saying that there is no price too high for him to pay to set his people free. In the days of Isaiah, these nations (Egypt, Cush, and Seba) were united as one dynasty. They were given in exchange, as it were, to Persia for Israel’s future deliverance through the successors of Cyrus.
- Isaiah 43:4 Or “dear, costly, of great price.”
- Isaiah 43:4 This is the Hebrew word for “glory” (kabad).
- Isaiah 43:4 Or “people” (Heb. adam). God gave up a Man (the last “Adam,” 1 Cor. 15:45) for those who are precious to him.
- Isaiah 43:5 Or “your seed.”
New International Version
3 For I am the Lord your God,(A)
the Holy One(B) of Israel, your Savior;(C)
I give Egypt(D) for your ransom,
Cush[a](E) and Seba(F) in your stead.(G)
4 Since you are precious and honored(H) in my sight,
and because I love(I) you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
nations in exchange for your life.
5 Do not be afraid,(J) for I am with you;(K)
I will bring your children(L) from the east
and gather(M) you from the west.(N)
- Isaiah 43:3 That is, the upper Nile region