New American Standard Bible
Precepts and Warnings
10 If you (N)are slack in the day of distress,
Your strength is limited.
11 (O)Deliver those who are being taken away to death,
And those who are staggering to slaughter, Oh hold them back.
12 If you say, “See, we did not know this,”
Does He not (P)consider it (Q)who weighs the hearts?
And (R)does He not know it who (S)keeps your soul?
And will He not [f](T)render to man according to his work?
13 My son, eat (U)honey, for it is good,
Yes, the (V)honey from the comb is sweet to your taste;
14 Know that (W)wisdom is thus for your soul;
If you find it, then there will be a [g](X)future,
And your hope will not be cut off.
15 (Y)Do not lie in wait, O wicked man, against the dwelling of the righteous;
Do not destroy his resting place;
16 For a (Z)righteous man falls seven times, and rises again,
But the (AA)wicked stumble in time of calamity.
23 These also are (AJ)sayings of the wise.
To [k](AK)show partiality in judgment is not good.
24 He (AL)who says to the wicked, “You are righteous,”
(AM)Peoples will curse him, nations will abhor him;
25 But (AN)to those who rebuke the wicked will be delight,
And a good blessing will come upon them.
26 He kisses the lips
Who gives [l]a right answer.
27 Prepare your work outside
And (AO)make it ready for yourself in the field;
Afterwards, then, build your house.
28 Do not be a (AP)witness against your neighbor without cause,
And (AQ)do not deceive with your lips.
29 (AR)Do not say, “Thus I shall do to him as he has done to me;
I will [m]render to the man according to his work.”
30 I passed by the field of the sluggard
And by the vineyard of the man (AS)lacking [n]sense,
31 And behold, it was completely (AT)overgrown with thistles;
Its surface was covered with [o](AU)nettles,
And its stone (AV)wall was broken down.
32 When I saw, I [p]reflected upon it;
I looked, and received instruction.
33 “(AW)A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to rest,”
34 Then your poverty will come as [q]a robber
And your want like [r]an armed man.
- Proverbs 24:2 Lit hearts
- Proverbs 24:5 Lit in strength
- Proverbs 24:5 Lit strengthens power
- Proverbs 24:6 Lit make battle for yourself
- Proverbs 24:8 Or deviser of evil
- Proverbs 24:12 Lit bring back
- Proverbs 24:14 Lit latter end
- Proverbs 24:18 Lit it is evil in His eyes
- Proverbs 24:20 Lit latter end
- Proverbs 24:21 Or reverence
- Proverbs 24:23 Lit regard the face
- Proverbs 24:26 Or an honest
- Proverbs 24:29 Lit bring back
- Proverbs 24:30 Lit heart
- Proverbs 24:31 I.e. a kind of weed
- Proverbs 24:32 Lit set my heart
- Proverbs 24:34 Or a vagabond; lit one who walks
- Proverbs 24:34 Lit a man with a shield