Disciples’ Literal New Testament
This Does Mean That There Is Now No Condemnation For Those In Christ Jesus
For God Did What The Law Could Not Do, For Those Walking In The Spirit
3 For the thing impossible[d] for the Law, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did. Having sent His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for[e] sin, He condemned sin in the flesh[f], 4 in order that the requirement[g] of the Law might be fulfilled in us, the ones walking not in-accordance-with[h] the flesh, but in accordance with the Spirit.
For The Way of The Flesh Is Death. But You Are Not In The Flesh, But In The Spirit
5 For the ones being[i] in accordance with the flesh are thinking[j] the things of [k] the flesh, but the ones being in accordance with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the way-of-thinking of the flesh is death, but the way-of-thinking of the Spirit is life and peace. 7 Because the way-of-thinking of the flesh is hostility toward God; for it is not subject[l] to the Law of God, for it is not even able. 8 And the ones being in the flesh are not able to please God. 9 But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit— since[m] the Spirit of God is dwelling in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, this one is not of [n] Him.
And The Spirit Is True Life In Us Now, And Will Give Life To Our Mortal Bodies
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life[o] because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of the One having raised Jesus from the dead is dwelling in you, the One having raised Christ from the dead will also give-life-to your mortal bodies through His Spirit dwelling in you.
So We Are Debtors To The Spirit To Put To Death The Deeds of The Flesh And Live
12 So then, brothers, we are debtors— not to the flesh, that we should be living in accordance with the flesh. 13 For if [p] you are living in accordance with the flesh, you are going-to[q] die. But if by the Spirit you are putting-to-death the practices of the body, you will live.
For Those Being So Led By The Spirit Are The Adopted Children of God
14 For[r] all who are being led[s] by the Spirit of God, these are sons[t] of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit[u] of slavery again leading-to fear, but you received a Spirit[v] of adoption by Whom we are crying-out “Abba[w]! Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself bears-witness-with our spirit that we are children of God!
This Means We Are Joint-Heirs With Christ, Sharing His Suffering And Glory
17 And if we are children, we are heirs also. We are heirs of God, and fellow-heirs of Christ, since[x] we are suffering-with Him in order that we may also be glorified-with Him. 18 For I consider that the sufferings of the present time are not worthy to the glory destined to be revealed to[y] us.
Creation Itself Groans To Share In Our Glory
19 For the eager-expectation of the creation is awaiting[z] the revelation of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility[aa]— not willingly[ab], but because of the One having subjected it— in hope[ac] 21 that the creation itself also will be set-free from the slavery of [ad] decay into the freedom of [ae] the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation is groaning-together and suffering-birthpains-together[af] until the present.
We Groan For The Redemption of Our Body
23 And not only creation, but also ourselves having the firstfruit[ag] of the Spirit— we ourselves also are groaning within ourselves while eagerly-awaiting adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in hope. But hope being seen is not hope, for who hopes-for what he sees? 25 But since we hope-for what we do not see, we are eagerly-awaiting it with endurance.
The Spirit Groans To Help Us In Our Present Weakness
26 And similarly also[ah] the Spirit helps our weakness. For we do not know what we should pray as we ought-to, but the Spirit Himself intercedes-for us with inexpressible[ai] groanings. 27 And the One searching our hearts knows[aj] what the mind of the Spirit is, because He is interceding for the saints in accordance with God.
This Means God Is Working All Things Together Toward Our Glorification
28 And we know that all things are[ak] working-together[al] for good for the ones loving God, the ones being called ones according to His purpose[am]. 29 Because whom He foreknew[an], He also predestined[ao] to be similar-to-the-form of the image[ap] of His Son, so that He might be firstborn[aq] among many brothers. 30 And whom He predestined, these He also called[ar]. And whom He called, these He also declared-righteous. And whom He declared righteous, these He also glorified[as].
So What Shall We Say To All This? If God Is For Us, Who Will Condemn Us?
31 Therefore, what shall we say to these things? If [at] God is for us, who is against us? 32 He Who indeed did not spare His own Son but handed Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely-give[au] us all things? 33 Who will bring-a-charge against the chosen[av] ones of God? God is the One declaring-righteous! 34 Who is the one who will condemn[aw]? Christ Jesus is the One having died, but more, having been raised, Who also is at the right hand of God, Who also intercedes[ax] for us!
Nothing Can Separate Us From Christ’s Love; We Are Conquerors Through Him
35 What[ay] shall separate us from the love of Christ? Affliction, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 Just as it has been written [in Ps 44:22] that “For your sake we are being put-to-death the whole day. We were considered as sheep for slaughter”. 37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly-conquer[az] through the One having loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present[ba] nor things coming, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other creation[bb] will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 8:1 Paul now turns from correcting false inferences drawn from salvation by grace (ch 6-7) to again teaching true ones.
- Romans 8:2 That is, the controlling power, the operative power.
- Romans 8:2 This word is singular. Paul makes it personal.
- Romans 8:3 That is, to conquer the death-producing power of sin.
- Romans 8:3 Paul may mean as an offering for sin; or, to deal with sin in all its aspects.
- Romans 8:3 Or, in His flesh.
- Romans 8:4 This views the entire Law as a single requirement.
- Romans 8:4 Or, in harmony with, in conformity with.
- Romans 8:5 Or, existing, and thus, living. This is another way of saying ‘walking’, v 4.
- Romans 8:5 Or, setting their minds on, being intent on. This is the focus of their hearts and minds.
- Romans 8:5 That is, belonging to; proceeding from.
- Romans 8:7 Or, does not subject-itself.
- Romans 8:9 Or, if as is the case, if indeed.
- Romans 8:9 That is, does not belong to Him.
- Romans 8:10 That is, the Spirit is true life. Or, the spirit is alive, in contrast to the body.
- Romans 8:13 That is, assuming it is true that.
- Romans 8:13 Or, are destined to.
- Romans 8:14 This gives the reason you will live. If you are living by the Spirit, this means you are one of God’s children.
- Romans 8:14 This is the broad category of which putting to death the practices of the body is one aspect.
- Romans 8:14 That is, children, family members, as opposed to slaves.
- Romans 8:15 That is, a disposition, a slave kind of spirit.
- Romans 8:15 Or, spirit.
- Romans 8:15 That is, papa, daddy.
- Romans 8:17 That is, if as is the case.
- Romans 8:18 Or, for, in.
- Romans 8:19 Or, eagerly-awaiting.
- Romans 8:20 Or, purposelessness, pointlessness.
- Romans 8:20 Or, not of its own will, again personifying creation.
- Romans 8:20 That is, in the hope granted to it that. This hope results in the eager expectation of v 19. Or, subjected it in the expectation that the creation. Or, subjected it in hope, because the creation (making this the only place in the Bible where ‘hope’ has God as the subject).
- Romans 8:21 Or, belonging to, leading to.
- Romans 8:21 That is, characterized by; or, belonging to.
- Romans 8:22 That is, for the birth of the new age.
- Romans 8:23 That is, the initial foretaste of the Spirit, the future fullness of Whom will be the harvest; or, the firstfruit which is the Spirit, He being the first installment of all the blessings God will bestow on us.
- Romans 8:26 Or, indeed.
- Romans 8:26 That is, unspoken, wordless; or, unspeakable, inexpressible, too deep for words.
- Romans 8:27 That is, knows in the sense of approves of, recognizes with approval, takes interest in; or, understands.
- Romans 8:28 Or, that He is working all things together for good; or, that in all things, He joins in working for good.
- Romans 8:28 Or, cooperating, helping, assisting.
- Romans 8:28 Or. plan, design, resolve.
- Romans 8:29 Or, knew beforehand, had advance knowledge of. Some think this knowledge is with reference to their actions and choices; others, that He ‘knew’ them in the sense of ‘had regard for, loved, took interest in’ them.
- Romans 8:29 Or, preappointed, predesignated.
- Romans 8:29 Or, likeness.
- Romans 8:29 That is, preeminent, first in rank, the supreme One.
- Romans 8:30 Or, summoned.
- Romans 8:30 Paul puts this in the past tense, as something already certain.
- Romans 8:31 That is, If as is the case.
- Romans 8:32 Or, graciously-grant.
- Romans 8:33 Or, elect, selected.
- Romans 8:34 Or, who is the one condemning?
- Romans 8:34 Or, petitions, appeals. Same word as in v 27.
- Romans 8:35 Or, Who.
- Romans 8:37 Or, are completely-victorious.
- Romans 8:38 Lit, being present; or, having come.
- Romans 8:39 Or creature, created thing.