New English Translation
19 Then[a] I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to do battle with the one who rode the horse and with his army. 20 Now[b] the beast was seized, and along with him the false prophet who had performed the signs on his behalf[c]—signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. Both of them were thrown alive into the lake of fire burning with sulfur.[d] 21 The[e] others were killed by the sword that extended from the mouth of the one who rode the horse, and all the birds gorged[f] themselves with their flesh.Read full chapter
- Revelation 19:19 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “then” to indicate the implied sequence within the narrative.
- Revelation 19:20 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “now” to indicate the introduction of an unexpected development in the account: The opposing armies do not come together in battle; rather the leader of one side is captured.
- Revelation 19:20 tn For this meaning see BDAG 342 s.v. ἐνώπιον 4.b, “by the authority of, on behalf of Rv 13:12, 14; 19:20.”
- Revelation 19:20 tn Traditionally, “brimstone.”
- Revelation 19:21 tn Here καί (kai) has not been translated because of differences between Greek and English style.
- Revelation 19:21 tn On the translation of ἐχορτάσθησαν (echortasthēsan) BDAG 1087 s.v. χορτάζω 1.a states, “of animals, pass. in act. sense πάντα τὰ ὄρνεα ἐχορτάσθησαν ἐκ τῶν σαρκῶν αὐτῶν all the birds gorged themselves with their flesh Rv 19:21 (cp. TestJud. 21:8).”