1599 Geneva Bible
5 David oppressed with the cruelty of his enemies, and fearing greater dangers, calleth to God for succor, showing how requisite it is that God should punish the malice of his adversaries. 7 After, being assured of prosperous success, he conceiveth comfort, 12 concluding, that when God shall deliver him, others also shall be partakers of the same mercies.
To him that excelleth upon [a]Nehiloth. A Psalm of David.
1 Hear my words, O Lord: understand my [b]meditation.
2 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my king and my God: for unto thee do I pray.
3 Hear my voice in the morning, O Lord: for in the morning will I direct me unto thee, and I will [c]wait.
4 For thou art not a God that loveth [d]wickedness, neither shall evil dwell with thee.
5 [e]The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: for thou hatest all them that work iniquity.
6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak lies: the Lord will abhor the bloody man and deceitful.
7 But I [f]will come into thine house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thine holy Temple.
8 Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness, [g]because of mine enemies: make thy way plain before my face.
9 For no constancy is in their mouth: within they are very corruption: their (A)throat is an open sepulcher, and they flatter with their tongue.
11 And [j]let all them that trust in thee, rejoice and triumph forever, and cover thou them: and let them that love thy name, rejoice in thee.
- Psalm 5:1 Or, a musical instrument or tune.
- Psalm 5:1 That is, my vehement prayer, and secret complaint and sighings.
- Psalm 5:3 With patience and trust till I be heard.
- Psalm 5:4 Seeing that God of nature hateth wickedness, he must needs punish the wicked, and save the godly.
- Psalm 5:5 Which run most ragingly after their carnal affections.
- Psalm 5:7 In the deepest of his tentations he putteth his full confidence in God.
- Psalm 5:8 Because thou art just, therefore lead me out of the dangers of mine enemies.
- Psalm 5:10 Or, cause them to err.
- Psalm 5:10 Let their devices come to nought.
- Psalm 5:11 Thy favor toward me shall confirm the faith of all others.
- Psalm 5:12 Or, give good success.
- Psalm 5:12 So that he shall be safe from all dangers.