New English Translation
6 The heavens declare his fairness,[a]
for God is judge.[b] (Selah)
7 He says:[c]
“Listen, my people. I am speaking!
Listen, Israel. I am accusing you.[d]
I am God, your God!
8 I am not condemning[e] you because of your sacrifices,
or because of your burnt sacrifices that you continually offer me.[f]
- Psalm 50:6 tn Or “justice.”
- Psalm 50:6 tn Or “for God, he is about to judge.” The participle may be taken as substantival (as in the translation above) or as a predicate (indicating imminent future action in this context).
- Psalm 50:7 tn The words “he says” are supplied in the translation for clarification. God’s charges against his people follow.
- Psalm 50:7 tn Heb “Israel, and I will testify against you.” The imperative “listen” is understood in the second line by ellipsis (note the preceding line).
- Psalm 50:8 tn Or “rebuking.”
- Psalm 50:8 tn Heb “and your burnt sacrifices before me continually.”