Holman Christian Standard Bible
29 One who becomes stiff-necked,
after many reprimands
will be shattered instantly—
2 When the righteous flourish, the people rejoice,
but when the wicked rule, people groan.(B)
8 Mockers inflame a city,(K)
but the wise turn away anger.
12 If a ruler listens to lies,(P)
all his officials will be wicked.
14 A king who judges the poor with fairness—
his throne will be established forever.(R)
16 When the wicked increase, rebellion increases,
but the righteous will see their downfall.(U)
17 Discipline your son, and it will bring you peace of mind(V)
and give you delight.
19 A slave cannot be disciplined by words;
though he understands, he doesn’t respond.(Z)
21 A slave pampered from his youth
will become arrogant[j] later on.
27 An unjust man is detestable to the righteous,
and one whose way is upright
is detestable to the wicked.(AK)
- Proverbs 29:4 The Hb word for “contributions” usually refers to offerings in worship.
- Proverbs 29:5 Lit is smooth on
- Proverbs 29:7 Lit justice
- Proverbs 29:9 Lit rest
- Proverbs 29:10 Or person, and seek the life of the upright
- Proverbs 29:11 Lit spirit
- Proverbs 29:13 Lit oppressor meet
- Proverbs 29:15 Lit youth sent away
- Proverbs 29:18 Lit vision
- Proverbs 29:21 Hb obscure
- Proverbs 29:22 Lit a master of rage
- Proverbs 29:24 When a call for witnesses was made public, anyone with information who did not submit his testimony was under a curse.
- Proverbs 29:25 Lit raised high