1599 Geneva Bible
The Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ, According to Matthew
1 1 That Jesus is that Messiah, the Savior promised to the Fathers. 18 The nativity of Christ.
3 (E)And Judah begat Perez, and Zerah of Tamar. And Perez begat Hezron. And Hezron begat Ram.
4 And Ram begat Amminadab. And Amminadab begat Nahshon. And Nahshon begat Salmon.
5 And Salmon begat (F)Boaz of Rahab. And Boaz begat Obed of Ruth. And Obed begat Jesse.
7 And (I)Solomon begat Rehoboam. And Rehoboam begat Abijah. And Abijah begat Asa.
8 And Asa begat Jehoshaphat. And Jehoshaphat begat Joram. And Joram begat Uzziah.
9 And Uzziah begat Jotham. And Jotham begat Ahaz. And Ahaz begat Hezekiah.
10 And (J)Hezekiah begat Manasseh. And Manasseh begat Amon. And Amon begat Josiah.
13 And Zerubbabel begat Abiud. And Abiud begat Eliakim. And Eliakim begat Azor.
14 And Azor begat Zadok. And Zadok begat Achim. And Achim begat Eliud.
15 And Eliud begat Eleazar. And Eleazar begat Matthan. And Matthan begat Jacob.
16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, that is called Christ.
17 So [f]all the generations from Abraham to David, are fourteen generations. And from David until they were carried away into Babylon, fourteen generations: and after they were carried away into Babylon until Christ, fourteen generations.
19 Then Joseph her husband being a just man, and not willing to (O)make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly.
20 But while he thought these things, behold, the Angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, the son of David, fear not to [h]take Mary thy [i]wife: for that which is [j]conceived in her, is of the holy Ghost.
22 And all this was done that it might be fulfilled, which is spoken of the Lord by the Prophet, saying,
24 ¶ Then Joseph being raised from sleep, did as the Angel of the Lord had enjoined him, and took his wife.
25 But he knew her not, [n]till she had brought forth her first born son, and he called his name JESUS.
- Matthew 1:1 Jesus Christ came of Abraham of the tribe of Judah, and of the stock of David as God promised.
- Matthew 1:1 Rehearsal: As the Hebrews used to speak: as Gen. 5:1, The book of the generations.
- Matthew 1:1 Of the ancestors of whom Christ came.
- Matthew 1:1 Which Christ is also the son of Abraham.
- Matthew 1:11 That is, the captivity fell in the days of Jakim and Jeconiah: for Jeconiah was born before their carrying away into captivity.
- Matthew 1:17 All those which are reckoned up in this pedigree of David’s stock, as they begat one another orderly in their degrees.
- Matthew 1:18 Christ is the true Emmanuel, and therefore, Jesus (that is, Savior) is conceived in the Virgin by the holy Ghost, as it was foretold by the Prophets.
- Matthew 1:20 Receive her at her parents’ and kinsfolk’s hands.
- Matthew 1:20 Which was promised, and made sure to thee to be thy wife.
- Matthew 1:20 Of the mother’s substance by the holy Ghost.
- Matthew 1:21 Christ is born of the same Virgin which never knew man: and is called Jesus of God himself, by the Angel.
- Matthew 1:21 Deliver, and this showeth us the meaning of this name Jesus.
- Matthew 1:23 There is in the Hebrew and Greek text, an article added, to point out the woman, and set her forth plainly: as you would say, that Virgin, or a certain virgin.
- Matthew 1:25 This little word Till, in the Hebrew tongue, giveth us to understand also, that a thing shall not come to pass in time to come: as Michal had no children Till her death day, 2 Sam. 6:23. And in the last Chapter of this Evangelist: Behold, I am with you till the end of the world.
New International Version
2 Abraham was the father of Isaac,(F)
Isaac the father of Jacob,(G)
Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers,(H)
3 Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar,(I)
Perez the father of Hezron,
Hezron the father of Ram,
4 Ram the father of Amminadab,
Amminadab the father of Nahshon,
Nahshon the father of Salmon,
5 Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab,(J)
Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth,
Obed the father of Jesse,
6 and Jesse the father of King David.(K)
David was the father of Solomon, whose mother had been Uriah’s wife,(L)
7 Solomon the father of Rehoboam,
Rehoboam the father of Abijah,
Abijah the father of Asa,
8 Asa the father of Jehoshaphat,
Jehoshaphat the father of Jehoram,
Jehoram the father of Uzziah,
9 Uzziah the father of Jotham,
Jotham the father of Ahaz,
Ahaz the father of Hezekiah,
10 Hezekiah the father of Manasseh,(M)
Manasseh the father of Amon,
Amon the father of Josiah,
12 After the exile to Babylon:
Jeconiah was the father of Shealtiel,(O)
Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel,(P)
13 Zerubbabel the father of Abihud,
Abihud the father of Eliakim,
Eliakim the father of Azor,
14 Azor the father of Zadok,
Zadok the father of Akim,
Akim the father of Elihud,
15 Elihud the father of Eleazar,
Eleazar the father of Matthan,
Matthan the father of Jacob,
17 Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah.
Joseph Accepts Jesus as His Son
18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about[d]: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.(S) 19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet[e] did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce(T) her quietly.
20 But after he had considered this, an angel(U) of the Lord appeared to him in a dream(V) and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[f](W) because he will save his people from their sins.”(X)
22 All this took place to fulfill(Y) what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”[g](Z) (which means “God with us”).
24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel(AA) of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.(AB)
- Matthew 1:1 Or is an account of the origin
- Matthew 1:1 Or Jesus Christ. Messiah (Hebrew) and Christ (Greek) both mean Anointed One; also in verse 18.
- Matthew 1:11 That is, Jehoiachin; also in verse 12
- Matthew 1:18 Or The origin of Jesus the Messiah was like this
- Matthew 1:19 Or was a righteous man and
- Matthew 1:21 Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua, which means the Lord saves.
- Matthew 1:23 Isaiah 7:14