1599 Geneva Bible
26 Job showeth that man cannot help God, and proveth it by his miracles.
1 But Job answered, and said,
2 [a]Whom helpest thou? him that hath no power? savest thou the arm that hath no strength?
3 Whom counselest thou? him that hath no wisdom? [b]thou showest right well as the thing is.
4 To whom dost thou declare these words? or whose spirit [c]cometh out of thee?
5 The [d]dead things are formed under the waters, and near unto them.
7 He stretcheth out the [g]North over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
8 He bindeth the waters in his clouds, and the cloud is not broken under them.
9 He holdeth back the face of his throne, and spreadeth his cloud upon it.
11 The [j]pillars of heaven tremble and quake at his reproof.
12 The sea is calm by his power, and by his understanding he smiteth the pride thereof.
13 His Spirit hath garnished the heavens, and his hand hath formed the crooked [k]serpent.
14 Lo, these are part of his ways: but [l]how little a portion hear we of him? and who can understand his fearful power?
- Job 26:2 Thou concludest nothing: for neither thou helpest me, which am destitute of all help, neither yet speakest sufficiently on God’s behalf, who hath no need of thy defense.
- Job 26:3 But thou dost not apply it to the purpose.
- Job 26:4 That is, moveth thee to speak this?
- Job 26:5 Job beginneth to declare the force of God’s power and providence in the mines and metals in the deep places of the earth.
- Job 26:6 There is nothing hid in the bottom of the earth but he seeth it.
- Job 26:6 Meaning, the grave wherein things putrify.
- Job 26:7 He causeth the whole heaven to turn about the North pole.
- Job 26:10 That is, he hid the heavens which are called his throne.
- Job 26:10 So long as this world endureth.
- Job 26:11 Not that heaven hath pillars to uphold it, but he speaketh by a similitude, as though he would say, The heaven itself is not able to abide his reproach.
- Job 26:13 Which is a figure of stars fashioned like a serpent, because of the crookedness.
- Job 26:14 If these few things, which we see daily with our eyes, declare his great power and providence, how much more would they appear, if we were to comprehend all his works?