New English Translation
30 And you, Zion, city doomed to destruction,[a]
you accomplish nothing[b] by wearing a beautiful dress,[c]
decking yourself out in jewels of gold,
and putting on eye shadow![d]
You are making yourself beautiful for nothing.
Your lovers spurn you.
They want to kill you.[e]
- Jeremiah 4:30 tn Heb “And you that are doomed to destruction.” The referent is supplied from the following context and the fact that Zion/Jerusalem represents the leadership that was continually making overtures to foreign nations for help.
- Jeremiah 4:30 tn Heb “What are you accomplishing…?” The rhetorical question assumes a negative answer, made clear by the translation in the indicative.
- Jeremiah 4:30 tn Heb “clothing yourself in scarlet.”
- Jeremiah 4:30 tn Heb “enlarging your eyes with antimony.” Antimony was a black powder used by women as eyeliner to make their eyes look larger.
- Jeremiah 4:30 tn Heb “they seek your life.”