New English Translation
19 I will perform a mighty act among them[a] and then send some of those who remain to the nations—to Tarshish, Pul,[b] Lud[c] (known for its archers[d]), Tubal, Javan,[e] and to the distant coastlands[f] that have not heard about me or seen my splendor. They will tell the nations of my splendor.Read full chapter
- Isaiah 66:19 tn Heb “and I will set a sign among them.” The precise meaning of this statement is unclear. Elsewhere “to set a sign” means “perform a mighty act” (Ps 78:43; Jer 32:20), “make [someone] an object lesson” (Ezek 14:8), and “erect a [literal] standard” (Ps 74:4).
- Isaiah 66:19 tn Some prefer to read “Put” (i.e., Libya).
- Isaiah 66:19 sn That is, Lydia (in Asia Minor).
- Isaiah 66:19 tn Heb “drawers of the bow” (KJV and ASV both similar).
- Isaiah 66:19 sn Javan is generally identified today as Greece (so NIV, NCV, NLT).
- Isaiah 66:19 tn Or “islands” (NIV).