New English Translation
18 That day the Lord made a covenant[a] with Abram: “To your descendants I give[b] this land, from the river of Egypt[c] to the great river, the Euphrates River— 19 the land[d] of the Kenites, Kenizzites, Kadmonites, 20 Hittites, Perizzites, Rephaites, 21 Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites, and Jebusites.”[e]Read full chapter
- Genesis 15:18 tn Heb “cut a covenant.”
- Genesis 15:18 tn The perfect verbal form is understood as instantaneous (“I here and now give”). Another option is to understand it as rhetorical, indicating certitude (“I have given” meaning it is as good as done, i.e., “I will surely give”).sn To your descendants I give this land. The Lord here unconditionally promises that Abram’s descendants will possess the land, but he does not yet ratify his earlier promises to give Abram a multitude of descendants and eternal possession of the land. The fulfillment of those aspects of the promise remain conditional (see Gen 17:1-8) and are ratified after Abraham offers up his son Isaac (see Gen 22:1-19). For a fuller discussion see R. B. Chisholm, “Evidence from Genesis,” A Case for Premillennialism, 35-54.
- Genesis 15:18 sn The river of Egypt is a wadi (a seasonal stream) on the northeastern border of Egypt, not the River Nile.
- Genesis 15:19 tn The words “the land” are supplied in the translation for stylistic reasons.
- Genesis 15:21 tn Each of the names in the list has the Hebrew definite article, which is used here generically for the class of people identified.