New English Translation
16 I will shoot against them deadly,[a] destructive[b] arrows of famine,[c] which I will shoot to destroy you.[d] I will prolong a famine on you and will remove the bread supply.[e] 17 I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will take your children from you.[f] Plague and bloodshed will overwhelm you,[g] and I will bring a sword against you. I, the Lord, have spoken!”Read full chapter
- Ezekiel 5:16 tn The Hebrew word carries the basic idea of “bad, displeasing, injurious” but has the nuance “deadly” when used of weapons (see Ps 144:10).
- Ezekiel 5:16 tn Heb “which are/were to destroy.”
- Ezekiel 5:16 tn The language of this verse may have been influenced by Deut 32:23.
- Ezekiel 5:16 tn Or “which were to destroy those whom I will send to destroy you” (cf. NASB).
- Ezekiel 5:16 tn Heb, “break the staff of bread.” The bread supply is compared to a staff that one uses for support. See 4:16, as well as the covenant curse in Lev 26:26.
- Ezekiel 5:17 tn Heb “will bereave you.”
- Ezekiel 5:17 tn Heb “will pass through you.” This threat recalls the warning of Lev 26:22, 25 and Deut 32:24-25.
New International Version
16 When I shoot at you with my deadly and destructive arrows of famine, I will shoot to destroy you. I will bring more and more famine upon you and cut off your supply of food.(A) 17 I will send famine and wild beasts(B) against you, and they will leave you childless. Plague and bloodshed(C) will sweep through you, and I will bring the sword against you. I the Lord have spoken.(D)”Read full chapter