2 Samuel 7:23
New English Translation
23 Who is like your people, Israel, a unique nation[a] on the earth? Their God[b] went[c] to claim[d] a nation for himself and to make a name for himself! You did great and awesome acts for your land,[e] before your people whom you delivered for yourself from the Egyptian empire and its gods.[f]Read full chapter
- 2 Samuel 7:23 tn Heb “a nation, one.”
- 2 Samuel 7:23 tn Heb “whose God” or “because God.” In the Hebrew text this clause is subordinated to what precedes. The clauses are separated in the translation for stylistic reasons.
- 2 Samuel 7:23 tn The verb is plural in Hebrew, agreeing grammatically with the divine name, which is a plural of degree.
- 2 Samuel 7:23 tn Heb “redeem.”
- 2 Samuel 7:23 tn Heb “and to do for you [plural form] the great [thing] and awesome [things] for your land.”
- 2 Samuel 7:23 tn Heb “from Egypt, nations and their gods.” The LXX has “nations and tents,” which reflects a mistaken metathesis of letters in אֶלֹהָיו (ʾelohayv, “its gods”) and אֹהָלָיו (ʾohalayv, “its tents”).