2 Kings 7:2
New English Translation
2 An officer who was the king’s right-hand man[a] responded to the prophet,[b] “Look, even if the Lord made it rain by opening holes in the sky, could this happen so soon?”[c] Elisha[d] said, “Look, you will see it happen with your own eyes, but you will not eat any of the food!”[e]Read full chapter
- 2 Kings 7:2 tn Heb “the officer on whose hand the king leans.”
- 2 Kings 7:2 tn Heb “man of God.”
- 2 Kings 7:2 tn Heb “the Lord was making holes in the sky, could this thing be?” Opening holes in the sky would allow the waters stored up there to pour to the earth and assure a good crop. But, the officer argues, even if this were to happen, it would take a long time to grow and harvest the crop.
- 2 Kings 7:2 tn Heb “he”; the referent (Elisha) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- 2 Kings 7:2 tn Heb “you will not eat from there.”