1599 Geneva Bible
The Second Epistle of John
1 This Epistle is written to a woman of great renown, 4 who brought up her children in the fear of God: 6 he exhorteth her to continue in Christian charity, 7 that she accompany not with Antichrists, 10 but avoid them.
2 For the truth’s sake which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us forever:
3 Grace be with you, mercy and peace from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ the Son of the Father, with [d]truth and love.
5 And now beseech I thee, Lady, (not as writing a new commandment unto thee, but the same which we had from the beginning) that we (A)love one another.
6 And this is that love that we should walk after his commandments. This commandment is, that as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
7 [g]For many deceivers are entered into this world, which confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. He that is such one, is a deceiver and an Antichrist.
9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that continueth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
11 For he that biddeth him Godspeed, is partaker of his evil deeds. Although I had many things to write unto you, yet would I not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak mouth to mouth, that our joy may be full.
12 The sons of thine elect sister greet thee, Amen.
- 2 John 1:1 This is no proper name, but to be taken as the word soundeth, that is to say to the worthy and noble Lady.
- 2 John 1:1 Excellent and honorable Dame.
- 2 John 1:1 The bond of Christian conjunction or linking together, is the true and constant profession of the truth.
- 2 John 1:3 With true knowledge, which hath always love joined with it, and following it.
- 2 John 1:4 This true profession consisteth both in love one toward another which the Lord hath commanded, and also especially in wholesome and sound doctrine, which also is delivered unto us: for the commandment of God is a sound and sure foundation both of the rule of manners and of doctrine, and these cannot be separated the one from the other.
- 2 John 1:4 According as the truth directeth them.
- 2 John 1:7 Antichrists fighting against the person and office of Christ, were already crept into the Church in the time of the Apostles.
- 2 John 1:8 He that maketh shipwreck of doctrine, loseth all.
- 2 John 1:8 Beware and take good heed.
- 2 John 1:10 We ought to have nothing to do with them that defend perverse doctrine.