1 Thessalonians 1
International Standard Version
To: The church of the Thessalonians in union with God the Father and the Lord Jesus, the Messiah.[c]
May grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus, the Messiah,[d] be yours!
Paul’s Prayer for the Thessalonians
2 We always thank God for all of you when we mention you in our prayers. 3 In the presence of our God and Father, we constantly remember how your faith is active,[e] your love is hard at work,[f] and your hope in our Lord Jesus the Messiah[g] is enduring.[h] 4 Brothers whom God loves, we know that he has chosen you, 5 for the gospel we brought[i] did not come to you in words only, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit, and with deep conviction. Indeed,[j] you know what kind of people we proved to be while we were with you, acting on your behalf.
6 You became imitators of us and of the Lord. In spite of a great deal of suffering, you welcomed the word with the joy that the Holy Spirit produces.[k] 7 As a result, you became a model for all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. 8 From you the word of the Lord has spread out not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place where your faith in God has become known. As a result, we do not need to say anything about it.
9 For people[l] keep telling us what kind of welcome you gave us and how you turned away from idols to serve a living and true God 10 and to wait for his Son whom he raised from the dead to come back[m] from heaven. This Jesus is the one who rescues us from the coming wrath.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:1 The Gk. lacks From
- 1 Thessalonians 1:1 I.e. Silas
- 1 Thessalonians 1:1 Or Christ
- 1 Thessalonians 1:1 Or Christ; other mss. lack from God our Father and the Lord Jesus, the Messiah
- 1 Thessalonians 1:3 Lit. your work of faith
- 1 Thessalonians 1:3 Lit. your labor of love
- 1 Thessalonians 1:3 Or Christ
- 1 Thessalonians 1:3 Lit. the endurance of hope of our Lord Jesus, the Messiah
- 1 Thessalonians 1:5 Lit. our gospel
- 1 Thessalonians 1:5 Lit. Just as
- 1 Thessalonians 1:6 Or the joy of the Holy Spirit
- 1 Thessalonians 1:9 Lit. they
- 1 Thessalonians 1:10 The Gk. lacks to come back