1 Peter 4
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
Therefore Arm Yourselves With The Same Intention
4 Therefore, Christ having suffered in the flesh, you also arm-yourselves with the same intention[a]. Because the one having suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, 2 so as to live the remaining time in the flesh no longer for[b] the desires of humans, but for[c] the will of God. 3 For the time having passed is enough for you to have worked-out the will of the Gentiles, having walked in sensualities, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking-parties and unlawful idolatries, 4 in connection with which they are thinking-it-strange that you are not running-with them into the same excess[d] of wild-living, while they continue blaspheming— 5 who shall render an account to the One being ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For to this end it[e] was announced-as-good-news even to the dead[f]: that they might be judged according-to[g] people in the flesh[h], but be living according to God in the spirit[i]. 7 And[j] the end of all things has drawn-near.
So Be Sober In Prayer, Loving One Another, And Good Stewards of God’s Gifts To You
Therefore be sound-minded and be sober in[k] your prayers— 8 above all, having fervent love for each other, because love covers a multitude of sins; 9 being hospitable to one another without grumbling; 10 as each received a grace-gift, ministering it to each other as good stewards[l] of the diversified grace of God— 11 if anyone speaks, as speaking oracles[m] of God; if anyone serves, as serving by strength which God supplies— in order that God may be glorified in all things through Jesus Christ, to Whom is the glory and the dominion forever and ever, amen.
Beloved, Be Rejoicing To Share In The Sufferings of Christ
12 Beloved, do not be thinking-strange the fiery[n] suffering among you coming upon you for a trial[o], as-though a strange thing were happening to you, 13 but be rejoicing to-the-degree you are sharing in the sufferings of Christ, in order that you may also rejoice while being overjoyed at the revelation of His glory! 14 If you are being reproached[p] in[q] the name of Christ, you are blessed[r] ones!— because the Spirit of glory and of God is resting upon you. 15 For let none of you be suffering as a murderer or thief or evil-doer, or as a meddler[s]. 16 But if one suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him be glorifying God in this name. 17 Because it is time that the judgment begin from the household[t] of God. But if it begins first from us, what will be the outcome of the ones disobeying the good-news of God? 18 “And if the righteous one is saved with-difficulty, where will the ungodly and sinner appear[u]?” [Prov 11:31].
Entrust Your Souls To God While Doing Good
19 So then, let indeed the ones suffering according to the will of God be entrusting their souls in good-doing to a faithful Creator.
- 1 Peter 4:1 Or, thought, way of thinking. That is, to suffer for righteousness (3:14) like Christ (3:18).
- 1 Peter 4:2 Or, in, by.
- 1 Peter 4:2 Or, in, by.
- 1 Peter 4:4 Or, flood, pouring-out.
- 1 Peter 4:6 That is, the gospel. Or, He; that is, Christ (as the judge in v 5; Act 17:31).
- 1 Peter 4:6 the dead... spirit. That is, to spiritually dead ones, that having become Christians, they might be judged in accordance with human standards while living on earth (and thus suffer for righteousness like Christ), but be living in accordance with God’s standards now and forever (continuing the main argument from v 1-4); or, to now dead Christians while they were still alive, that they might have been judged by human standards while on earth, but now be living with God as He desires, in accordance with His nature and likeness (continuing on from v 5).
- 1 Peter 4:6 Or, by way of, in keeping with.
- 1 Peter 4:6 That is, in the sphere of the flesh, in connection with mankind’s human fleshly nature.
- 1 Peter 4:6 Or, Spirit.
- 1 Peter 4:7 A final reason we should arm ourselves with this intention. Or, Now; the beginning of the next paragraph.
- 1 Peter 4:7 Or, for, for the purpose of.
- 1 Peter 4:10 Or, managers, administrators.
- 1 Peter 4:11 Or, sayings, pronouncements, declarations.
- 1 Peter 4:12 That is, painful, intense.
- 1 Peter 4:12 Or, test.
- 1 Peter 4:14 Or, insulted, scolded.
- 1 Peter 4:14 That is, in connection with.
- 1 Peter 4:14 Or, fortunate, from God’s point of view.
- 1 Peter 4:15 Or, busybody.
- 1 Peter 4:17 Or, family.
- 1 Peter 4:18 Or, show-themselves, make-their-appearance. If Christians suffer such fiery trials on earth while entering into the kingdom of God, where in God’s kingdom will unbelievers be seen?