New English Translation
“Holy Holy Holy is the Lord God, the All-Powerful,[d]
Who was and who is, and who is still to come!”
9 And whenever the living creatures give glory, honor,[e] and thanks to the one who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders throw themselves to the ground[f] before the one who sits on the throne and worship the one who lives forever and ever, and they offer their crowns[g] before his[h] throne, saying:Read full chapter
- Revelation 4:8 tn Grk “six wings apiece,” but this is redundant with “each one” in English.
- Revelation 4:8 tn Some translations render ἔσωθεν (esōthen) as “under [its] wings,” but the description could also mean “filled all around on the outside and on the inside with eyes.” Since the referent is not available to the interpreter, the exact force is difficult to determine.
- Revelation 4:8 tn Or “They never stop saying day and night.”
- Revelation 4:8 tn On this word BDAG 755 s.v. παντοκράτωρ states, “the Almighty, All-Powerful, Omnipotent (One) only of God…(ὁ) κύριος ὁ θεὸς ὁ π.…Rv 1:8; 4:8; 11:17; 15:3; 16:7; 21:22.”sn A quotation from (or an allusion to) Isa 6:3.
- Revelation 4:9 tn Here καί (kai) has not been translated since English normally uses a coordinating conjunction only between the last two elements in a series of three or more.
- Revelation 4:10 tn Grk “the twenty-four elders fall down.” BDAG 815 s.v. πίπτω 1.b.α.ב. has “fall down, throw oneself to the ground as a sign of devotion or humility, before high-ranking persons or divine beings.”
- Revelation 4:10 sn See the note on the word crown in Rev 3:11.
- Revelation 4:10 tn The pronoun “his” is understood from the demonstrative force of the article τοῦ (tou) before θρόνου (thronou).