New American Bible (Revised Edition)
6 And he said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true, and the Lord, the God of prophetic spirits, sent his angel to show his servants what must happen soon.”(A) 7 [b]“Behold, I am coming soon.”[c] Blessed is the one who keeps the prophetic message of this book.(B)
8 It is I, John, who heard and saw these things, and when I heard and saw them I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me. 9 But he said to me, “Don’t! I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brothers the prophets and of those who keep the message of this book. Worship God.”(C)
10 Then he said to me, “Do not seal up the prophetic words of this book, for the appointed time[d] is near. 11 Let the wicked still act wickedly, and the filthy still be filthy. The righteous must still do right, and the holy still be holy.”
14 Blessed are they who wash their robes so as to have the right to the tree of life and enter the city[f] through its gates.(F) 15 Outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the unchaste, the murderers, the idol-worshipers, and all who love and practice deceit.(G)
18 I warn everyone who hears the prophetic words in this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, 19 and if anyone takes away from the words in this prophetic book, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city described in this book.(J)
21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all.Read full chapter
- 22:6–21 The book ends with an epilogue consisting of a series of warnings and exhortations and forming an inclusion with the prologue by resuming its themes and expressions; see note on Rev 1:1–3.
- 22:7, 12, 20 I am coming soon: Christ is the speaker; see note on Rev 1:3.
- 22:7, 14 Blessed: see note on Rev 1:3.
- 22:10 The appointed time: see note on Rev 1:3.
- 22:13 Christ applies to himself words used by God in Rev 1:8.
- 22:14 The city: heavenly Jerusalem; see note on Rev 21:2.
- 22:16 The root…of David: see note on Rev 5:5. Morning star: see note on Rev 2:26–28.
- 22:17 Bride: the church; see note on Rev 21:2.
- 22:20 Come, Lord Jesus: a liturgical refrain, similar to the Aramaic expression Marana tha—“Our Lord, come!”—in 1 Cor 16:22; cf. note there. It was a prayer for the coming of Christ in glory at the parousia; see note on Rev 1:3.