The Passion Translation
Longing for God
84 For the Pure and Shining One
A prophetic song written by the sons of Korah
Set to the melody of “For the Feast of Harvest”[a]
1 God of Heaven’s Armies, you find so much beauty in your people!
They’re like lovely sanctuaries of your presence.[b]
2 Deep within me are these lovesick longings,
desires and daydreams of living in union with you.
When I’m near you my heart and my soul
will sing and worship with my joyful songs of you,
my true source and spring of life!
3 O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, my King and my God,
even the sparrows and swallows are welcome to build a nest
among your altars for the birds to raise their young.
4 What pleasure fills those who live every day in your temple,
enjoying you as they worship in your presence!
Pause in his presence
5 How enriched are they who find their strength in the Lord;[c]
within their hearts are the highways of holiness![d]
6 Even when their paths wind through the dark valley of tears,
they dig deep to find a pleasant pool where others find only pain.
He gives to them a brook of blessing
filled from the rain of an outpouring.
7 They grow stronger and stronger with every step forward,
and the God of all gods will appear before them in Zion.
8 Hear my cry, O God of Heaven’s Armies!
God of Jacob, listen to my loving prayer.
Pause in his presence
9 God, your wrap-around presence is our defense.
In your kindness look upon the faces of your anointed ones.[e]
10 For just one day of intimacy with you[f] is like
a thousand days of joy rolled into one!
I’d rather stand at the threshold in front of the Gate Beautiful,
ready to go in and worship my God,
than to live my life without you
in the most beautiful palace of the wicked.
11 For the Lord God is brighter than the brilliance of a sunrise!
Wrapping himself around me like a shield,
he is so generous with his gifts of grace and glory.
Those who walk along his paths with integrity
will never lack one thing they need, for he provides it all!
12 O Lord of Heaven’s Armies,
what euphoria fills those who forever trust in you!
- Psalm 84:1 The Septuagint says, “For the wine vats.”
- Psalm 84:1 The Hebrew word for “lovely” used here can also mean “beloved.” This translation has chosen to use both of these concepts in this verse.
- Psalm 84:5 The Aramaic says, “How blessed is the Son of Man with you as his helper.”
- Psalm 84:5 The Hebrew is literally “Roads are in their hearts.” By implication it is the ways [roads] that lead us to God’s holy presence.
- Psalm 84:9 Or “the face of your Anointed [Christ].”
- Psalm 84:10 Or “in your [temple] courts.”