New English Translation
3 Be my protector and refuge,[a]
a stronghold where I can be safe.[b]
For you are my high ridge[c] and my stronghold.
4 My God, rescue me from the power[d] of the wicked,
from the hand of the cruel oppressor.
5 For you are my hope;
O Sovereign Lord, I have trusted in you since I was young.[e]
- Psalm 71:3 tc Heb “become for me a rocky summit of a dwelling place.” The Hebrew term מָעוֹן (maʿon, “dwelling place”) should probably be emended to מָעוֹז (maʿoz, “refuge”; see Ps 31:2).
- Psalm 71:3 tc Heb “to enter, continually you commanded to deliver me.” The Hebrew phrase לָבוֹא תָּמִיד צִוִּיתָ (lavoʾ tamid tsivvita) should be emended to לְבֵית מְצוּדוֹת (levet metsudot, “a house of strongholds”; see Ps 31:2).
- Psalm 71:3 sn You are my high ridge. This metaphor pictures God as a rocky, relatively inaccessible summit, where one would be able to find protection from enemies. See 1 Sam 23:25, 28.
- Psalm 71:4 tn Heb “hand.”
- Psalm 71:5 tn Heb “O Lord Yahweh, my source of confidence from my youth.”