New English Translation
11 For as the skies are high above the earth,
so his loyal love towers[a] over his faithful followers.[b]
12 As far as the eastern horizon[c] is from the west,[d]
so he removes the guilt of our rebellious actions[e] from us.
13 As a father has compassion on his children,[f]
so the Lord has compassion on his faithful followers.[g]
- Psalm 103:11 tn For this sense of the verb גָבַר (gavar), see L. C. Allen, Psalms 101-150 (WBC), 17, 19.
- Psalm 103:11 tn Heb “those who fear him.”
- Psalm 103:12 tn Heb “sunrise.”
- Psalm 103:12 tn Or “sunset.”
- Psalm 103:12 tn The Hebrew term פֶּשַׁע (peshaʿ, rebellious act”) is here used metonymically for the guilt such actions produce.
- Psalm 103:13 tn Or “sons,” but the Hebrew term sometimes refers to children in general.
- Psalm 103:13 tn Heb “those who fear him.”