International Standard Version
18 “The house of Jacob will be a fire,
and the house of Joseph a flame,
but the house of Esau will be kindling.
Then Jacob and Joseph[a] will burn and consume Esau,[b]
and no survivor will remain from the house of Esau.”
Indeed, the Lord has spoken it.
19 “Those in the Negev[c] will possess Esau’s Mountain,
and those in the Shephelah[d] the Philistines.
They will possess the fields of Ephraim
and the fields of Samaria,
while Benjamin will possess the territory of[e] Gilead.
20 The exiles, the Israeli host,
will possess the territory of the[f] Canaanites all the way to Zarephath.
The exiles of Jerusalem who are in Sepharad[g]
will possess the cities of the Negev.[h]
- Obadiah 1:18 Lit. They
- Obadiah 1:18 Lit. them
- Obadiah 1:19 I.e. southern region of Israel; cf. Josh 10:40
- Obadiah 1:19 I.e. the verdant central lowlands of Israel; cf. Josh 10:40
- Obadiah 1:19 The Heb. lacks will possess the territory of
- Obadiah 1:20 The Heb. lacks the territory of
- Obadiah 1:20 I.e. perhaps Sardis, capital of Lydia, Saparda in eastern Assyria, Sparta in Greece, or a location in Spain (so Targ of Jonathan)
- Obadiah 1:20 I.e. southern region of Israel; cf. Josh 10:40