New English Translation
4 They must join[a] with you, and they will be responsible for the care of the tent of meeting, for all the service of the tent, but no unauthorized person[b] may approach you. 5 You will be responsible for the care of the sanctuary and the care of the altar, so that there will be[c] no more wrath on the Israelites. 6 I myself have chosen[d] your brothers the Levites from among the Israelites. They are given to you as a gift from the Lord, to perform the duties[e] of the tent of meeting.Read full chapter
- Numbers 18:4 tn Now the sentence uses the Niphal perfect with a vav (ו) consecutive from the same root לָוָה (lavah).
- Numbers 18:4 tn The word is “stranger, alien,” but it can also mean Israelites here.
- Numbers 18:5 tn The clause is a purpose clause, and the imperfect tense a final imperfect.
- Numbers 18:6 tn Heb “taken.”
- Numbers 18:6 tn The infinitive construct in this sentence is from עָבַד (ʿavad), and so is the noun that serves as its object: to serve the service.