Lexham English Bible
Aaron’s Staff Is Chosen
17 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the Israelites,[a] and take from among them twelve staffs, a staff from each family[b] from among all their leaders according to their families’ households. Write the name of each man on his staff, 3 and the name of Aaron on the staff of Levi, because one staff is for the head of each of their families.[c] 4 You must then put them in the tent of assembly before[d] the testimony[e] where I meet with you. 5 And it will happen, the man whom I will choose, his staff will blossom, and so I will rid from upon myself the grumblings of the Israelites,[f] who are grumbling against you.” 6 Moses spoke to the Israelites,[g] and all their leaders gave him a staff for each leader, one from each of their families,[h] twelve staffs, and the staff of Aaron was in the midst of their tribes. 7 And Moses put the staffs before Yahweh in the tent of testimony.
8 Then the next day, Moses went into the tent of the testimony, and behold the staff of Aaron for the house of Levi blossomed and put forth a flower and produced blossoms, and it produced almonds. 9 Then Moses brought out to all the Israelites[i] all the staffs before the presence of Yahweh, and they saw, and each man took his staff. 10 And Yahweh said to Moses, “Bring back the staff of Aaron before the testimony[j] as a guard and sign for the children of rebellion, and let them finish their grumblings before me and not die.” 11 So Moses did; just as Yahweh commanded him, so he did.
- Numbers 17:2 Literally “sons/children of Israel”
- Numbers 17:2 Literally “a staff from a house of a father”
- Numbers 17:3 Literally “the house of their fathers”
- Numbers 17:4 Literally “in the presence of”
- Numbers 17:4 Or “the statute”
- Numbers 17:5 Literally “sons/children of Israel”
- Numbers 17:6 Literally “sons/children of Israel”
- Numbers 17:6 Literally “each from the house of their fathers”
- Numbers 17:9 Literally “sons/children of Israel”
- Numbers 17:10 Or “the statute”
- Numbers 17:12 Literally “sons/children of Israel”
- Numbers 17:13 Literally “Will we all die to perish?”