New English Translation
41 In[a] the same way even the chief priests—together with the experts in the law[b] and elders[c]—were mocking him:[d] 42 “He saved others, but he cannot save himself! He is the king of Israel! If he comes down[e] now from the cross, we will believe in him! 43 He trusts in God—let God, if he wants to, deliver him now[f] because he said, ‘I am God’s Son’!”Read full chapter
- Matthew 27:41 tn Here καί (kai) has not been translated.
- Matthew 27:41 tn Or “with the scribes.” See the note on the phrase “experts in the law” in 2:4.
- Matthew 27:41 tn Only “chief priests” is in the nominative case; this sentence structure attempts to capture this emphasis.
- Matthew 27:41 tn Grk “Mocking him, the chief priests…said.”
- Matthew 27:42 tn Here the aorist imperative καταβάτω (katabatō) has been translated as a conditional imperative. This fits the pattern of other conditional imperatives (imperative + καί + future indicative) outlined by ExSyn 489.
- Matthew 27:43 sn An allusion to Ps 22:8.