New English Translation
15 “Woe to you, experts in the law[a] and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You cross land and sea to make one convert,[b] and when you get one,[c] you make him twice as much a child of hell[d] as yourselves!
16 “Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘Whoever swears by the temple is bound by nothing.[e] But whoever swears by the gold of the temple is bound by the oath.’ 17 Blind fools! Which is greater, the gold or the temple that makes the gold sacred?Read full chapter
- Matthew 23:15 tn Or “scribes.” See the note on the phrase “experts in the law” in 2:4.
- Matthew 23:15 tn Or “one proselyte.”
- Matthew 23:15 tn Grk “when he becomes [one].”
- Matthew 23:15 tn Grk “a son of Gehenna.” Expressions constructed with υἱός (huios) followed by a genitive of class or kind denote a person belonging to the class or kind specified by the following genitive (L&N 9.4). Thus the phrase here means “a person who belongs to hell.”sn See the note on the word hell in 5:22.
- Matthew 23:16 tn Grk “Whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing.”