1599 Geneva Bible
The Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ, According to Matthew
1 1 That Jesus is that Messiah, the Savior promised to the Fathers. 18 The nativity of Christ.
3 (E)And Judah begat Perez, and Zerah of Tamar. And Perez begat Hezron. And Hezron begat Ram.
4 And Ram begat Amminadab. And Amminadab begat Nahshon. And Nahshon begat Salmon.
5 And Salmon begat (F)Boaz of Rahab. And Boaz begat Obed of Ruth. And Obed begat Jesse.
7 And (I)Solomon begat Rehoboam. And Rehoboam begat Abijah. And Abijah begat Asa.
8 And Asa begat Jehoshaphat. And Jehoshaphat begat Joram. And Joram begat Uzziah.
9 And Uzziah begat Jotham. And Jotham begat Ahaz. And Ahaz begat Hezekiah.
10 And (J)Hezekiah begat Manasseh. And Manasseh begat Amon. And Amon begat Josiah.
13 And Zerubbabel begat Abiud. And Abiud begat Eliakim. And Eliakim begat Azor.
14 And Azor begat Zadok. And Zadok begat Achim. And Achim begat Eliud.
15 And Eliud begat Eleazar. And Eleazar begat Matthan. And Matthan begat Jacob.
16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, that is called Christ.
17 So [f]all the generations from Abraham to David, are fourteen generations. And from David until they were carried away into Babylon, fourteen generations: and after they were carried away into Babylon until Christ, fourteen generations.
19 Then Joseph her husband being a just man, and not willing to (O)make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly.
20 But while he thought these things, behold, the Angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, the son of David, fear not to [h]take Mary thy [i]wife: for that which is [j]conceived in her, is of the holy Ghost.
22 And all this was done that it might be fulfilled, which is spoken of the Lord by the Prophet, saying,
24 ¶ Then Joseph being raised from sleep, did as the Angel of the Lord had enjoined him, and took his wife.
25 But he knew her not, [n]till she had brought forth her first born son, and he called his name JESUS.
- Matthew 1:1 Jesus Christ came of Abraham of the tribe of Judah, and of the stock of David as God promised.
- Matthew 1:1 Rehearsal: As the Hebrews used to speak: as Gen. 5:1, The book of the generations.
- Matthew 1:1 Of the ancestors of whom Christ came.
- Matthew 1:1 Which Christ is also the son of Abraham.
- Matthew 1:11 That is, the captivity fell in the days of Jakim and Jeconiah: for Jeconiah was born before their carrying away into captivity.
- Matthew 1:17 All those which are reckoned up in this pedigree of David’s stock, as they begat one another orderly in their degrees.
- Matthew 1:18 Christ is the true Emmanuel, and therefore, Jesus (that is, Savior) is conceived in the Virgin by the holy Ghost, as it was foretold by the Prophets.
- Matthew 1:20 Receive her at her parents’ and kinsfolk’s hands.
- Matthew 1:20 Which was promised, and made sure to thee to be thy wife.
- Matthew 1:20 Of the mother’s substance by the holy Ghost.
- Matthew 1:21 Christ is born of the same Virgin which never knew man: and is called Jesus of God himself, by the Angel.
- Matthew 1:21 Deliver, and this showeth us the meaning of this name Jesus.
- Matthew 1:23 There is in the Hebrew and Greek text, an article added, to point out the woman, and set her forth plainly: as you would say, that Virgin, or a certain virgin.
- Matthew 1:25 This little word Till, in the Hebrew tongue, giveth us to understand also, that a thing shall not come to pass in time to come: as Michal had no children Till her death day, 2 Sam. 6:23. And in the last Chapter of this Evangelist: Behold, I am with you till the end of the world.