New English Translation
52 Then[a] Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard,[b] and the elders who had come out to get him, “Have you come out with swords and clubs like you would against an outlaw?[c] 53 Day after day when I was with you in the temple courts,[d] you did not arrest me.[e] But this is your hour,[f] and that of the power[g] of darkness!”
Jesus’ Condemnation and Peter’s DenialsRead full chapter
- Luke 22:52 tn Here δέ (de) has been translated as “then” to indicate the implied sequence of events within the narrative.
- Luke 22:52 tn This title, literally “official of the temple” (στρατηγὸς τοῦ ἱεροῦ, stratēgos tou hierou), referred to the commander of the Jewish soldiers who guarded and maintained order in the Jerusalem temple. Here, since the term is plural, it has been translated “officers of the temple guard” rather than “commanders of the temple guard,” since the idea of a number of commanders might be confusing to the modern English reader.
- Luke 22:52 tn Or “a revolutionary.” This term can refer to one who stirs up rebellion: BDAG 594 s.v. λῃστής 2 has “revolutionary, insurrectionist, guerrilla” citing evidence from Josephus (J. W. 2.13.2-3 [2.253-254]). However, this usage generally postdates Jesus’ time. It does refer to a figure of violence. Luke uses the same term for the highwaymen who attack the traveler in the parable of the good Samaritan (10:30).
- Luke 22:53 tn Grk “in the temple.”
- Luke 22:53 tn Grk “lay hands on me.”
- Luke 22:53 tn Or “your time.”
- Luke 22:53 tn Or “authority,” “domain.”
- Luke 22:54 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “then” to indicate the implied sequence of events within the narrative.
- Luke 22:54 tn Or “seized” (L&N 37.109).
- Luke 22:54 tn Grk “he”; the referent (Jesus) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Luke 22:54 sn Putting all the gospel accounts together, there is a brief encounter with Annas (brought him into the high priest’s house, here and John 18:13, where Annas is named); the meeting led by Caiaphas (Matt 26:57-68 = Mark 14:53-65); and then a Sanhedrin meeting (Matt 27:1; Mark 15:1; Luke 22:66-71). These latter two meetings might be connected and apparently went into the morning.