New English Translation
47 and my spirit has begun to rejoice[a] in God my Savior,
48 because he has looked upon the humble state of his servant.[b]
For[c] from now on[d] all generations will call me blessed,[e]
49 because he who is mighty[f] has done great things for me, and holy is his name;
- Luke 1:47 tn Or “rejoices.” The translation renders this aorist, which stands in contrast to the previous line’s present tense, as ingressive, which highlights Mary’s joyous reaction to the announcement. A comprehensive aorist is also possible here.
- Luke 1:48 tn See the note on the word “servant” in v. 38.
- Luke 1:48 tn Grk “for behold.”
- Luke 1:48 sn From now on is a favorite phrase of Luke’s, showing how God’s acts change things from this point on (5:10; 12:52; 22:18, 69; Acts 18:6).
- Luke 1:48 sn Mary is seen here as an example of an object of God’s grace (blessed) for all generations.
- Luke 1:49 tn Traditionally, “the Mighty One.”