1599 Geneva Bible
The Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ, According to Luke
1 Luke: Preface 5 Zacharias and Elizabeth. 15 What an one John should be. 20 Zacharias stricken dumb, for his incredulity. 26 The Angel saluteth Mary, and foretelleth Christ’s nativity. 39 Mary visited Elizabeth. 46 Mary’s song. 68 The song of Zacharias, showing that the promised Christ is come. 76 The office of John.
2 [c]As they have delivered them unto us, which from the beginning saw them themselves, and were ministers of the word,Read full chapter
- Luke 1:1 Luke commendeth the witnesses that saw this history.
- Luke 1:1 Many took it in hand, but did not perform: Luke wrote his Gospel before Matthew and Mark.
- Luke 1:2 Luke was not an eyewitness, and therefore it was not he to whom the Lord appeared when Cleopas saw him: and he was taught not only by Paul, but by others of the Apostles also.
- Luke 1:3 It is most mighty, and therefore Theophilus was a very honorable man, and in place of great dignity.
- Luke 1:3 Luke began his Gospel a great deal farther off, than the others did.