New English Translation
41 but then[a] he may go free,[b] he and his children with him, and may return to his family and to the property of his ancestors.[c] 42 Since the Israelites[d] are my servants whom I brought out from the land of Egypt, they must not be sold in a slave sale.[e] 43 You must not rule over them harshly,[f] but you must fear your God.Read full chapter
- Leviticus 25:41 tn Heb “and.” The Hebrew conjunction ו (vav, “and”) can be considered to have adversative force here.
- Leviticus 25:41 tn Heb “may go out from you.”
- Leviticus 25:41 tn Heb “fathers.”
- Leviticus 25:42 tn Heb “they”; the referent has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Leviticus 25:42 tn Or perhaps reflexive Niphal rather than passive, “they shall not sell themselves [as in] a slave sale.”
- Leviticus 25:43 tn Heb “You shall not rule in him in violence”; cf. NASB “with severity”; NIV “ruthlessly.”