New English Translation
40 Jesus responded,[a] “Didn’t I tell you that if you believe, you would see the glory of God?” 41 So they took away[b] the stone. Jesus looked upward[c] and said, “Father, I thank you that you have listened to me.[d] 42 I knew that you always listen to me,[e] but I said this[f] for the sake of the crowd standing around here, that they may believe that you sent me.”Read full chapter
- John 11:40 tn Grk “Jesus said to her.”
- John 11:41 tn Or “they removed.”
- John 11:41 tn Grk “lifted up his eyes above.”
- John 11:41 tn Or “that you have heard me.”
- John 11:42 tn Grk “that you always hear me.”
- John 11:42 tn The word “this” is not in the Greek text. Direct objects in Greek were often omitted when clear from the context.