1599 Geneva Bible
18 1 Bildad rehearseth the pains of the unfaithful and wicked.
1 Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said,
3 Wherefore are we counted as beasts, and are vile in your sight?
5 Yea, the light of the wicked shall be [e]quenched, and the spark of his fire shall not shine.
6 The light shall be dark in his dwelling, and his candle shall be put out with him.
7 The steps of his strength shall be restrained, and his own counsel shall cast him down.
8 For he is taken in the net by his feet, and he [f]walketh upon the snares.
9 The grenne shall take him by the heel, and the chief shall come upon him.
10 A snare is laid for him in the ground, and a trap for him in the way.
11 Fearfulness shall make him afraid on every side, and shall drive him to his feet.
12 His strength shall be [g]famine: and destruction shall be ready at his side.
13 It shall devour the inner parts of his skin, and the [h]firstborn of death shall devour his strength.
14 His hope shall be rooted out of his dwelling, and shall cause him to go to the [i]king of fear.
16 His roots shall be dried up beneath, and above shall his branch be cut down.
17 His remembrance shall perish from the earth, and he shall have no name in the street.
18 They shall drive him out of the [l]light unto darkness, and chase him out of the world.
19 He shall neither have son nor nephew among his people, nor any posterity in his dwellings.
20 The posterity shall be astonied at his [m]day, and fear shall come upon the ancient.
21 Surely such are the habitations of the wicked, and this is the place of him that knoweth not God.
- Job 18:2 Which count yourselves just, as Job 12:4.
- Job 18:2 Whom you take to be but beasts, as Job 12:7.
- Job 18:4 That is, like a madman.
- Job 18:4 Shall God change the order of nature for thy sake, by dealing with thee otherwise than he doth with all men?
- Job 18:5 When the wicked is in his prosperity, then God changeth his state: and this is his ordinary working for their sins.
- Job 18:8 Meaning, that the wicked are in continual danger.
- Job 18:12 That which should nourish him shall be consumed by famine.
- Job 18:13 That is, some strong and violent death shall consume his strength: or as the Hebrew word signifieth, his members or parts.
- Job 18:14 That is, with most great fear.
- Job 18:15 Meaning, not truly come by.
- Job 18:15 Though all the world would favor him, yet God would destroy him and his.
- Job 18:18 He shall fall from prosperity to adversity.
- Job 18:20 When they shall see what came unto him.