New English Translation
7 “For a short time I abandoned[a] you,
but with great compassion I will gather you.
8 In a burst[b] of anger I rejected you[c] momentarily,
but with lasting devotion I will have compassion on you,”
says your Protector,[d] the Lord.
9 “As far as I am concerned, this is like in Noah’s time,[e]
when I vowed that the waters of Noah’s flood[f] would never again cover the earth.
In the same way I have vowed that I will not be angry at you or shout at you.
- Isaiah 54:7 tn Or “forsook” (NASB).
- Isaiah 54:8 tn According to BDB 1009 s.v. שֶׁטֶף the noun שֶׁצֶף here is an alternate form of שֶׁטֶף (shetef, “flood”). Some relate the word to an alleged Akkadian cognate meaning “strength.”
- Isaiah 54:8 tn Heb “I hid my face from you.”
- Isaiah 54:8 tn Or “redeemer.” See the note at 41:14.
- Isaiah 54:9 tc The Hebrew text reads literally, “For [or “indeed”] the waters of Noah [is] this to me.” כִּי־מֵי (ki-me, “for the waters of”) should be emended to כִּימֵי (kime, “like the days of”), which is supported by the Qumran scroll 1QIsaa and all the ancient versions except LXX.
- Isaiah 54:9 tn Heb “the waters of Noah” (so NAB, NIV, NRSV).