The Passion Translation
15 I am making you into a powerful threshing instrument,[a]
with teeth[b] new and sharp!
You will reduce hills to chaff and crush mountains[c] into dust!
16 You will winnow them, and the stormy wind will blow them away!
Then you will spin and dance with rejoicing[d] in Yahweh,
boasting with admiration in the Holy One of Israel![e]
17 “I, Yahweh, will respond to the cry of the poor and needy
when they are thirsty and their tongues are parched with thirst!
When they seek a drink of water but there is none,
I, the God of Israel, will not abandon them.
- Isaiah 41:15 Or “a threshing sledge,” a board with iron studs like teeth that is driven over wheat to grind the chaff off the grain, which is then winnowed.
- Isaiah 41:15 Or “the owner of two mouths.” The Word of God is like a “two-mouthed sword” (Heb. 4:12), for it is spoken from God’s mouth and is released in power as it is spoken from our mouths. We will become God’s two-mouthed threshing instrument!
- Isaiah 41:15 Mountains are a frequent biblical metaphor for kingdoms and nations.
- Isaiah 41:16 The Hebrew word for “rejoice” (giyl) implies “twirling, spinning, shouting with delight and joy.”
- Isaiah 41:16 Or “You will rejoice among the holy things of Israel.”