New English Translation
7 Wild oxen will be slaughtered[a] along with them,
as well as strong bulls.[b]
Their land is drenched with blood,
their soil is covered with fat.
8 For the Lord has planned a day of revenge,[c]
a time when he will repay Edom for her hostility toward Zion.[d]
9 Edom’s[e] streams will be turned into pitch
and her soil into brimstone;
her land will become burning pitch.
- Isaiah 34:7 tn Heb “will go down”; NAB “shall be struck down.”
- Isaiah 34:7 tn Heb “and bulls along with strong ones.” Perhaps this refers to the leaders.
- Isaiah 34:8 tn Heb “for a day of vengeance [is] for the Lord.”
- Isaiah 34:8 tn Heb “a year of repayment for the strife of Zion.” The translation assumes that רִיב (riv) refers to Edom’s hostility toward Zion. Another option is to understand רִיב (riv) as referring to the Lord’s taking up Zion’s cause. In this case one might translate, “a time when he will repay Edom and vindicate Zion.”
- Isaiah 34:9 tn Heb “her”; the referent (Edom) has been specified in the translation for clarity.