New English Translation
8 They[a] removed the defenses[b] of Judah.
At that time[c] you looked
for the weapons in the House of the Forest.[d]
9 You saw the many breaks
in the walls of the City of David;[e]
you stored up water in the lower pool.
10 You counted the houses in Jerusalem,
and demolished houses so you could have material to reinforce the wall.[f]
- Isaiah 22:8 tn Heb “he,” i.e., the enemy invader. NASB, by its capitalization of the pronoun, takes this to refer to the Lord.
- Isaiah 22:8 tn Heb “covering.”
- Isaiah 22:8 tn Heb “in that day” (so KJV); likewise at the beginning of v. 12.
- Isaiah 22:8 sn Perhaps this refers to a royal armory, or to Solomon’s “House of the Forest of Lebanon,” where weapons may have been kept (see 1 Kgs 10:16-17).
- Isaiah 22:9 tn Heb “the breaks of the City of David, you saw that they were many.”
- Isaiah 22:10 tn Heb “you demolished the houses to fortify the wall.”