The Passion Translation
2 the Spirit of Yahweh will rest upon him,[a]
the Spirit of Extraordinary Wisdom,[b]
the Spirit of Perfect Understanding[c]
the Spirit of Wise Strategy,[d]
the Spirit of Mighty Power,[e]
the Spirit of Revelation,[f]
and the Spirit of the Fear of Yahweh.
- Isaiah 11:2 The Spirit of Yahweh is the Spirit of prophecy, the manifest presence of God resting upon the Lord Jesus. In the Hebrew culture, to say “the Spirit of Yahweh rests upon” someone meant the Spirit of prophecy was upon them. See John 1:32-33.
- Isaiah 11:2 Or “the Spirit of Skillfulness” (Ex. 31:2-4). This gives equipping ability for music, art, business, writing, creativity, and wisdom for judicial decisions. Paul prayed for the churches to receive this “Spirit of wisdom” (Eph. 1:17-19).
- Isaiah 11:2 Or “the Spirit of Intelligent Insight.” This imparts the ability to discern the truth, to know the meaning of riddles, and to decipher parables and allegories. This anointing was upon the prophet Daniel. See Dan. 1:17; 5:11-12; 9:21-23.
- Isaiah 11:2 Or “the Spirit of Guidance.” This is the Hebrew word etsah and is used numerous times in the Old Testament for “counsel, advice, or purpose.” It is also used for steering (guiding) a ship. This anointing imparts the wisdom and counsel needed for spiritual leadership. See Ex. 18:19.
- Isaiah 11:2 Or “the Spirit of a Mighty Warrior.”
- Isaiah 11:2 Or “the Spirit of Knowledge.” This is not knowledge that is learned from books or study but knowledge that comes from experiencing intimacy with God.