New English Translation
20 And since[a] this was not done without a sworn affirmation—for the others have become priests without a sworn affirmation, 21 but Jesus[b] did so[c] with a sworn affirmation by the one who said to him, “The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, ‘You are a priest forever’”[d]— 22 accordingly Jesus has become the guarantee[e] of a better covenant.Read full chapter
- Hebrews 7:20 sn The Greek text contains an elaborate comparison between v. 20a and v. 22, with a parenthesis (vv. 20b-21) in between; the comparison is literally, “by as much as…by so much” or “to the degree that…to that same degree.”
- Hebrews 7:21 tn Grk “he”; the referent (Jesus) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Hebrews 7:21 tn The words “did so” are not in the Greek text, but are implied.
- Hebrews 7:21 sn A quotation from Ps 110:4 (see Heb 5:6; 6:20, and 7:17).
- Hebrews 7:22 tn Or “surety.”