New English Translation
3 By faith we understand that the worlds[a] were set in order at God’s command,[b] so that the visible has its origin in the invisible.[c] 4 By faith Abel offered God a greater sacrifice than Cain, and through his faith[d] he was commended as righteous, because God commended him for his offerings. And through his faith[e] he still speaks, though he is dead. 5 By faith Enoch was taken up so that he did not see death, and he was not to be found because God took him up. For before his removal he had been commended as having pleased God.Read full chapter
- Hebrews 11:3 tn Grk “ages.” The temporal (ages) came to be used of the spatial (what exists in those time periods). See Heb 1:2 for same usage.
- Hebrews 11:3 tn Grk “by God’s word.”
- Hebrews 11:3 sn The Greek phrasing emphasizes this point by negating the opposite: “so that what is seen did not come into being from things that are visible.”
- Hebrews 11:4 tn Or “through his sacrifice”; Grk “through which.”
- Hebrews 11:4 tn Or “through his sacrifice”; Grk “through it.”