The Passion Translation
The Great Cloud of Witnesses
12 As for us, we have all of these great witnesses[a] who encircle us like clouds. So we must let go of every wound that has pierced us[b] and the sin we so easily fall into.[c] Then we will be able to run life’s marathon race[d] with passion and determination, for the path has been already marked out before us.[e]Read full chapter
- Hebrews 12:1 Or “martyrs.”
- Hebrews 12:1 Or “get rid of every arrow tip in us.” The implication is carrying an arrow tip inside, a wound that weighs us down and keeps us from running our race with freedom.
- Hebrews 12:1 Or “the sin that so cleverly entangles us.” The Aramaic can be translated “the sin that is ready [and waiting] for us.” If this is speaking of one sin, the context would point to the sin of unbelief and doubting God’s promises.
- Hebrews 12:1 Or “obstacle course.” The Greek word agona means agony or conflict. The assumption is this race will not be easy, but the proper path to run has been set before us.
- Hebrews 12:1 The Aramaic can be translated “the race [personally] appointed to us.” God has a destiny for each of us that we are to give ourselves fully to reach.