1599 Geneva Bible
49 1 Jacob blesseth all his sons by name. 10 He telleth them that Christ shall come out of Judah. 29 He will be buried with his fathers. 33 He dieth.
1 Then Jacob called his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you what shall come to you in the [a]last days.
2 Gather yourselves together, and hear, ye sons of Jacob, and hearken unto Israel your father.
5 ¶ Simeon and Levi, brethren in evil, [e]the instruments of cruelty are in their habitations.
7 Cursed be their wrath, for it was fierce, and their rage, for it was cruel: I will [h]divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.
8 ¶ Thou Judah, thy brethren shall praise thee: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies: thy father’s son shall [i]bow down before unto thee.
9 Judah as a Lion’s whelp shalt thou come up from the spoil, my son. He shall lie down and couch a Lion, and as a Lioness: [j]Who shall stir him up?
11 He shall bind his Ass foal unto the [m]vine, and his ass’s colt unto the best vine. He shall wash his garment in wine, and his cloak in the blood of grapes.
12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.
13 ¶ Zebulun shall dwell by the seaside, and he shall be an haven for ships: and his border shall be unto Sidon.
15 And he shall see that rest is good, and that the land is pleasant, and he shall bow his shoulder to bear, and shall be subject unto tribute.
16 ¶ Dan [p]shall judge his people as one of the tribes of Israel.
17 Dan shall be a [q]serpent by the way, an adder by the path, biting the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.
18 [r]O Lord, I have waited for thy salvation.
19 ¶ Gad, a host of men shall overcome him, but he shall overcome at the last.
20 ¶ Concerning Asher, his [s]bread shall be fat, and he shall give pleasures for a king.
21 ¶ Naphtali shall be a hind let go, giving [t]goodly words.
23 [w]And the archers grieved him, and shot against him, and hated him.
24 But his bow abode strong, and the hands of his arms were strengthened, by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob, of whom was the feeder appointed by the [x]stone of Israel,
25 Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee, and by the almighty, who shall bless thee with heavenly blessings from above, with blessings of the deep that lieth beneath, with blessings of the breasts, and of the womb.
26 The blessings of thy father shall be [y]stronger than the blessings of mine elders: unto the end of the hills of the world they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the top of the head of him that was [z]separated from his brethren.
27 ¶ Benjamin shall raven as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil.
28 ¶ All these are the twelve tribes of Israel, and thus their father spake unto them, and blessed them: every one of them blessed he with a several blessing.
29 And he charged them and said unto them, I am ready to be gathered unto my people: (B)bury me with my fathers in the cave, that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite,
30 In the cave that is in the field of Machpelah, besides Mamre in the land of Canaan: which cave Abraham bought with the field of Ephron the Hittite for a possession to bury in.
31 There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife: there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife: and there I buried Leah.
32 The purchase of the field and the cave that is therein, was bought of the children of Heth.
33 Thus Jacob made an end of giving charge to his sons, and [aa]plucked his feet into the bed, and gave up the ghost, and was gathered to his people.
- Genesis 49:1 When God shall bring you out of Egypt, and because that he speaketh of the Messiah, he nameth it the last days.
- Genesis 49:3 Begotten in my youth.
- Genesis 49:3 If thou hadst not lost thy birthright by thine offense.
- Genesis 49:4 Or, it ceased to be my bed.
- Genesis 49:5 Or, their swords were instruments of violence.
- Genesis 49:6 Or, tongue: meaning that he neither consented to them in word nor thought.
- Genesis 49:6 The Shechemites, Gen. 34:26.
- Genesis 49:7 For Levi had no part, and Simeon was under Judah, Josh. 19:1, till God gave them the place of the Amalekites, 1 Chron. 4:43.
- Genesis 49:8 As was verified in David and Christ.
- Genesis 49:9 His enemies shall so fear him.
- Genesis 49:10 Or, Kingdom.
- Genesis 49:10 Which is Christ the Messiah, the giver of prosperity who shall call the Gentiles to salvation.
- Genesis 49:11 A country most abundant with vines and pastures is promised him.
- Genesis 49:14 Hebrew, an ass of great bones.
- Genesis 49:14 His force shall be great, but he shall want courage to resist his enemies.
- Genesis 49:16 Shall have the honor of a tribe.
- Genesis 49:17 That is, full of subtlety.
- Genesis 49:18 Seeing the miseries that his posterity should fall into, he bursteth out in prayer to God to remedy it.
- Genesis 49:20 He shall abound in corn and pleasant fruits.
- Genesis 49:21 Overcoming more by fair words than by force.
- Genesis 49:22 Hebrew, a son of increase.
- Genesis 49:22 Hebrew, daughters.
- Genesis 49:23 As his brethren when they were his enemies, Potiphar and others.
- Genesis 49:24 That is God.
- Genesis 49:26 Inasmuch as he was more near to the accomplishment of the promise, and it had been more often confirmed.
- Genesis 49:26 Either in dignity, or when he was sold from his brethren.
- Genesis 49:33 Whereby is signified how quietly he died.