New English Translation
2 He created them male and female; when they were created, he blessed them and named them “humankind.”[a]
3 When[b] Adam had lived 130 years he fathered a son in his own likeness, according to his image, and he named him Seth. 4 The length of time Adam lived[c] after he became the father of Seth was 800 years; during this time he had[d] other[e] sons and daughters.Read full chapter
- Genesis 5:2 tn The Hebrew word used here is אָדָם (ʾadam).
- Genesis 5:3 tn Heb “and Adam lived 130 years.” In the translation the verb is subordinated to the following verb, “and he fathered,” and rendered as a temporal clause.
- Genesis 5:4 tn Heb “The days of Adam.”
- Genesis 5:4 tn Heb “he fathered.”
- Genesis 5:4 tn The word “other” is not in the Hebrew text, but is supplied for stylistic reasons.