Disciples’ Literal New Testament
Who Has Bewitched You? Do You Live By The Spirit And Faith, Or The Flesh And Law?
3 O foolish Galatians, who bewitched[a] you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was portrayed[b] as crucified? 2 I want to learn only this from you: did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law or by the hearing[c] of [d] faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun-with[e] the Spirit are you now perfecting-yourselves[f] with the flesh? 4 Did you suffer[g] so many things in-vain— if indeed it really was in-vain? 5 Did then the One supplying[h] you the Spirit and working miracles among you do it because-of [i] works of the Law, or because-of the hearing of faith?
The Children of Abraham Are The Ones Living By Faith, Not By The Law
6 Just as Abraham “ believed God and it was credited to him for righteousness” [Gen 15:6], 7 know then that the ones of [j] faith— these are the sons[k] of Abraham. 8 Now the Scripture, having foreseen that God declares the Gentiles righteous by faith, announced-the-good-news-beforehand to Abraham: that “All the Gentiles will be blessed in[l] you”[Gen 12:3]. 9 So then the ones of faith are being blessed together-with Abraham, the man-of-faith[m]. 10 For all-who are of the works of the Law are under a curse, for it has been written that “Cursed is everyone who is not continuing-in[n] all the things having been written in the book of the Law, that he might do them”[Deut 27:26]. 11 And that no one is declared-righteous by[o] the Law before God is evident[p], because “The righteous one will live by faith” [Hab 2:4]. 12 But the Law is not of faith, but “The one having done these things shall live by them” [Lev 18:5]. 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us— because it has been written, “Cursed is everyone hanging on a tree” [Deut 21:23]— 14 in order that the blessing of [q] Abraham might come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, in order that we might receive the promise of [r] the Spirit through faith.
God’s Promises To Abraham Were Not Cancelled By The Law Which Came Later
15 Brothers, I speak in accordance with human thinking: Though it is [a covenant] of a human, no one sets-aside or adds-conditions-to a covenant having been ratified. 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed[s]. He[t] does not say [in Gen 13:15] “and to seeds”, as-though speaking in reference to many; but as-though speaking in reference to one, “and to your seed”— who is Christ. 17 And this I say: the Law, having come-about after four-hundred and thirty years, does not un-ratify[u] the covenant having been previously-ratified by God, so as to do-away-with[v] the promise. 18 For if the inheritance is of [w] the Law, it is no longer of the promise. But God has freely-given it to Abraham through the promise!
The Law Was Added Because of Transgressions, Until The Christ Should Come
19 Why then the Law? It was added because of the transgressions until which time the Seed should come to Whom the promise has been made, having been commanded[x] through angels by the hand of a mediator[y]. 20 Now a mediator is not [a mediator] of [only] one [party], but God is one[z].
The Law Served To Lead Us To Faith In Christ So As To Inherit The Abrahamic Promises
21 Is the Law then against the promises of God? May it never be! For if a Law being able to give-life had been given, righteousness really would have been by the Law! 22 But the Scripture confined all things under[aa] sin, in order that the promise by faith[ab] in Jesus Christ might be given to the ones believing. 23 And before the faith[ac] came, we were being kept-in-custody[ad] under the Law— being confined until[ae] the faith destined to be revealed. 24 So then the Law has been[af] our tutor[ag] leading-to[ah] Christ, in order that we might be declared-righteous by faith. 25 But the faith having come, we are no longer under a tutor! 26 For you all are sons[ai] of God through faith in Christ Jesus! 27 For all you who were baptized into Christ put-on[aj] Christ. 28 There is no Jew nor Greek, there is no slave nor free, there is no male and female. For you all are one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are seed of Abraham— heirs according-to the promise.
- Galatians 3:1 Or, charmed.
- Galatians 3:1 Or, placarded, publicly-posted.
- Galatians 3:2 Or, report.
- Galatians 3:2 That is, the subjective obedient hearing proceeding from or characterized by faith (was it by works or by your believing?); or, the objective report concerning faith (was it by works or by the proclaiming of the gospel to you?).
- Galatians 3:3 That is, begun in the sphere of; or, begun by means of. Same next on ‘with the flesh’.
- Galatians 3:3 Or, being perfected, completed, finished.
- Galatians 3:4 That is, suffer negative consequences, persecutions. Or, experience, referring to positive benefits.
- Galatians 3:5 Or, providing.
- Galatians 3:5 Or, out-of, in the sense of originating in.
- Galatians 3:7 That is, originating in and living by. So also in v 9, 10, 12, 18.
- Galatians 3:7 That is, spiritual descendants.
- Galatians 3:8 That is, in connection with, in union with.
- Galatians 3:9 Or, the believer, the faithful one.
- Galatians 3:10 Or, abiding-in; and thus, being-faithful-to, being-true-to. Only doers are justified, Rom 2:12-13.
- Galatians 3:11 Or, in the sphere of, under.
- Galatians 3:11 Or, clear, plain.
- Galatians 3:14 That is, promised to Abraham.
- Galatians 3:14 That is, consisting of the Spirit.
- Galatians 3:16 This word had the collective sense of offspring, descendants, posterity, but also the singular sense which Paul reminds us of next, linking Abraham and Christ.
- Galatians 3:16 Or, It, meaning the Scripture.
- Galatians 3:17 Or, nullify.
- Galatians 3:17 Or, invalidate, set-aside, render-useless.
- Galatians 3:18 That is, originating in. If this is the source of the inheritance.
- Galatians 3:19 Or, ordained, set in order, arranged.
- Galatians 3:19 That is, Moses.
- Galatians 3:20 That is, a mediator stands between two parties. But God acted alone when He made His promise to Abraham and his seed.
- Galatians 3:22 That is, under its power and consequence.
- Galatians 3:22 Or, by the faithfulness of Jesus (to what God sent Him to do).
- Galatians 3:23 That is, the faith just mentioned. Or, faith.
- Galatians 3:23 Or, guarded.
- Galatians 3:23 Or, to, for.
- Galatians 3:24 Or, come-to-be.
- Galatians 3:24 Or, guardian, guide; our childhood custodian.
- Galatians 3:24 Or, until.
- Galatians 3:26 That is, descendants, children.
- Galatians 3:27 Or, are dressed-in, are wearing.