New English Translation
2 The Lord[a] said to me, “Son of man, these are the men who plot evil and give wicked advice in this city. 3 They say,[b] ‘The time is not near to build houses;[c] the city[d] is a cooking pot,[e] and we are the meat in it.’ 4 Therefore, prophesy against them! Prophesy, son of man!”Read full chapter
- Ezekiel 11:2 tn Heb “and he”; the referent (the Lord) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Ezekiel 11:3 tn The Hebrew verb may mean “think” in this context. This content of what they say (or think) represents their point of view.
- Ezekiel 11:3 sn The expression build houses may mean “establish families” (Deut 25:9; Ruth 4:11; Prov 24:27).
- Ezekiel 11:3 tn Heb “she” or “it”; the feminine pronoun refers here to Jerusalem.
- Ezekiel 11:3 sn Jerusalem is also compared to a pot in Ezek 24:3-8. The siege of the city is pictured as heating up the pot.