New English Translation
13 By your loyal love you will lead[a] the people whom[b] you have redeemed;
you will guide[c] them by your strength to your holy dwelling place.
14 The nations will hear[d] and tremble;
anguish[e] will seize[f] the inhabitants of Philistia.
15 Then the chiefs of Edom will be terrified,[g]
trembling will seize[h] the leaders of Moab,
and the inhabitants of Canaan will shake.
- Exodus 15:13 tn The verbs in the next two verses are perfect tenses, but can be interpreted as a prophetic perfect, looking to the future.
- Exodus 15:13 tn The particle זוּ (zu) is a relative pronoun, subordinating the next verb to the preceding.
- Exodus 15:13 tn This verb seems to mean “to guide to a watering-place” (See Ps 23:2).
- Exodus 15:14 tn This verb is a prophetic perfect, assuming that the text means what it said and this song was sung at the Sea. So all these countries were yet to hear of the victory.
- Exodus 15:14 tn The word properly refers to “pangs” of childbirth. When the nations hear, they will be terrified.
- Exodus 15:14 tn The verb is again a prophetic perfect.
- Exodus 15:15 tn This is a prophetic perfect.
- Exodus 15:15 tn This verb is imperfect tense.